June is Pride Month, which makes it a great time to take a look at the top LGBTQ+ friendly cities in the world. We live in an age when gender and sexual orientation are much more fluid and accepted than ever before. While some communities might be described as “tolerant” of LGBTQ+ people, the cities listed below are the friendliest due to the consistent effort of LGBTQ+ individuals and allies. Here are the top five locations that have vigilantly worked to be welcoming places for everyone to visit:
- Provincetown, MA The small coastal town of Provincetown, Massachusetts, hasn’t received as much attention as other travel destinations in movies and books. However, it has been a bastion of support for the LGBTQ+ community and allies for decades. Beautiful beaches and several annual gatherings celebrate pride all year long, making it the perfect weekend trip for anyone looking to enjoy the East Coast together.
- Fire Island, NY Just a short ferry ride from Long Island, the Fire Island community is segmented into smaller communities on the island. Among them are two of the most LGBTQ+ friendly places on Earth.
- Albuquerque, NM The ABQ isn’t exactly a thriving neighborhood of LGBTQ+ people, though plenty live here, to be sure. Nevertheless, what landed this New Mexico center on our list was the “accept everyone” mindset that is so pervasive. It’s a location where allies of all kinds coexist and invite everybody with open arms, regardless of what pronouns you choose or orientation you happen to identify with.
- Las Vegas, NV It’s fair to say that in Las Vegas, people “just don’t care about anyone’s orientation.” While that may seem harsh to hear at first, when you think about it, that’s exactly what the LGBTQ+ movement has always been about. Las Vegas has reached the point we hope all communities ultimately attain– a status where the orientation of any individual is a total afterthought, and the focus is on the benefits of a person rather than stereotypes.
- San Francisco, CA The first choice was obvious from the start, wasn’t it? San Francisco benefited significantly by becoming one of the first cities to openly accept everyone and encourage people to be open about who they are without judgment. That’s what built a burgeoning business community of innovative, forward-thinking executives and a nightlife that many agree is simply better than any other. As the world has learned acceptance, San Francisco continues to serve as a shining example of what inclusion means and what it can do for society as a whole.
Of course, what makes these places so special is the people, so if you want to make friends with some locals before you visit, check out adult groups on NaughtyFriendGirl and make friends with amazing, sex-positive people from all around the world!